Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Opera Lift Pattern

In my last part, I presented the Godzilla Anti-Pattern, where you would merge so many messages that a monster size packet would be sent and have negative effects.
 lift.jpgIn this part, I would like to present the Opera Lift Pattern. From all the Patterns I presented in this serie, this one is the only one for which I did not come up with the name. I leave all credit for the pattern as well as for the name to our architect while I was working at MyCom, Hugues Bouclier.

The name of this pattern was inspired by the lift in the Opera metro station. If you’ve been there, I must point out that the name was not inspired because the lift is often not working, neither because of the smell. What characterize this lift is that it has a timer. When someone leaps in, the timer starts counting 30 seconds. That gives chance to more people to join. On one side, the lift has a maximum capacity, so you avoid the Godzilla Anti-Pattern. And on the other side, by waiting a bit, you avoid packets that are too small. Of course, if your lift is full, you might also choose to make it leave right away without waiting for the timer to end.
This is the last of my Queue Patterns. Next time, I can move over to the Thread Patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment